Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost use of ,.<> symbols (GearCity Vanilla 2.0.0.12)
Sorry to be a pain, I've found a minor bug in GearCity (haven't checked Second Gear).

Issue details: I've lost the ability to use comma(,), period(.), less-than (<) and greater-than (>)  in text fields.
Priority: Low/Trivial/Cosmetic

Platform: OpenSUSE Leap 15.5

Replicated issues in both native OpenGL and Proton DirectX, and via Steam Play (so as to eliminate the physical keyboard from being the 'issue').
Also replicated the issue on a desktop PC with elderly Kingston Hyper-X keyboard and a Ducky Zero 2 keyboard, as well as directly on a more modern Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen2 laptop keyboard.
Also replicated the issue with on-screen keyboards.

The main place I've been able to replicate the problem of being unable to type said symbols is in 'District' management. I've been able to use those symbols prior to the last fortnight or so, when the functionality ceased (I cannot prove it's due to patch 2.0.0.12 without breaking my game). This COULD be an issue on my end and I'm willing to try other tasks to prove/disprove it.

Fascinatingly, the period(.) located next to the zero on the number pad works as expected!

My save game is 400MB in size, so it's too big for the forum, but if you would like a copy, please let me know and I'll share it from another location.

I've attached a screenshot to prove that it worked in past. Not quite sure how to attach proof of the typing failing...

What other information/data can I provide to assist with troubleshooting..?

Best Regards,

Awkward Space Man / yoshiyoshigraf

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

,.<> are used on the world map to switch between branches and factories when branches/factory windows are opened. Give it a spin by selecting a city, then clicking branch or factory. Then hit those keys. You should shuffle through the cities that you have branches or factories in.

So not really a bug, but little known hot keys features from a long time ago.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(06-02-2024, 12:39 AM)Eric.B Wrote: ,.<> are used on the world map to switch between branches and factories when branches/factory windows are opened. Give it a spin by selecting a city, then clicking branch or factory. Then hit those keys. You should shuffle through the cities that you have branches or factories in.

So not really a bug, but little known hot keys features from a long time ago.

Thanks Eric!

So, just so that I'm on the same page...

Is it fair to say that , . < > are all being 'ignored' in text windows because the application is 'listening' for them as hotkeys, so I should assume I cannot use , . < > in titles/text windows/District names anymore?

Best Regards,

,.<> do not work on the world map except for switching the selected city when using branches or factories.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
Hi Eric,

I mean no disrespect, but I feel like you're not reading my message properly.

I've lost the ability to use comma(,), period(.), less-than (<) and greater-than (>) in text fields.

I wish to be able to continue using those symbols in the text fields, for District Names like "Seattle <2,500km and >500km away".

Has this ability been removed/blocked? Or have I enabled/disabled a setting that I've overlooked and is causing me difficulties? I open to being in the wrong, or accepting that I can't use them anymore, but I need to understand correctly.

Sorry to be a pain,
Best Regards,

(06-03-2024, 01:21 AM)yoshiyoshigraf Wrote: Has this ability been removed/blocked? Or have I enabled/disabled a setting that I've overlooked and is causing me difficulties? I open to being in the wrong, or accepting that I can't use them anymore, but I need to understand correctly.

The keys 4 characters , . < > corresponding to ascii codes 44, 46, 60, and 61 respectively are not usable in the World Map, as they are tied to the hot keys to switch between selected cities.

As far as my knowledge is, you should have never been able to use these 4 characters in naming a district. If you have, then you either created the district name outside of the world map, or you had hot keys disabled at some point in time.

Quote:Sorry to be a pain,

Not a pain. So don't worry. I understand what you're saying. I haven't touched anything in the code related to what you're asking about. Maybe you had hotkeys disabled? But even so, I believe the characters were limited in the District system. You're more than welcome to try some older builds and see if there was a version that allowed you to do this. But I don't recall any.
For giggles, I loaded up GearCity 1.19 Open Beta, which you can get from here: https://gearcity.info/Downloads/Beta/

And nope, you still can't use ,.<> for district names. So I am not sure how or where you were able to create such custom districts in the past.
(06-03-2024, 02:41 AM)Eric.B Wrote: For giggles, I loaded up GearCity 1.19 Open Beta, which you can get from here: https://gearcity.info/Downloads/Beta/

And nope, you still can't use ,.<> for district names. So I am not sure how or where you were able to create such custom districts in the past.

That is... Astonishing..!

Well, it sounds like I should never have been able to use those symbols! I don't know how I broke the matrix with that, but here we are. I blame it on being in Australia 0_o

I'll come up with a different naming standard for my Districts and flush out all of the symbols so that I don't accidentally kill my game/save!

Thank you for your time and assistance Eric, as always - I will share the word on the VentDev Discord GearCity channel etc if I see someone else running into that issue like me :-)
Best Regards,

[-]
Quick Reply