Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tutorials Format
Seeing as tutorials are coming up in the next version, i was wondering what format people prefer their tutorials in or games where they've seen types of tutorials they can remember liking.
The tutorials are going to be a good thing for the game imo, especially for new players regardless of what format they are in, but i thought it was an interesting discussion anyway.

My understanding is that in the next version we will be getting a bunch of non-interactive tutorial videos which will open up outside of Gearcity and a manual which will be able to be opened ingame.

Ill start by saying that ive seen tutorials in a bunch of different games, in formats ranging from a series of Forum posts by a developer, printable ones in manual, to tutorial videos ingame and fully interactive tutorials ingame.
My preference is for fully interactive tutorials, where you are pointed towards things inside the game's interface/GUI, though a series of small scenarios. I dont think they have to be voiced, but i consider being pointed to various aspects of the interface and instructed with text onscreen to be ideal.
I realize that format can take a lot of time/effort, so i dont mind having the proposed tutorial videos as a compromise, as ive seen that work well in several games.

A genre relevant example is the Automation Game, which has tutorial videos which pop up when you click on a button for the first time when your designing.
Ive seen them in several other games. I was playing one just today that allows you to access them through its launcher application (which you access the game through), which then opens up tutorial videos outside the game for you to watch.
In both cases i think these videos are useful to the player.

Id be interested to hear if anyone wants to share their ideal or their preference for tutorials.

Messages In This Thread
Tutorials Format - by Arakash - 02-24-2014, 10:39 AM
RE: Tutorials Format - by Eric.B - 02-24-2014, 11:22 AM
RE: Tutorials Format - by Arakash - 02-24-2014, 11:35 AM
RE: Tutorials Format - by Frankschtaldt - 02-24-2014, 03:24 PM
RE: Tutorials Format - by Arakash - 02-24-2014, 09:40 PM
RE: Tutorials Format - by Frankschtaldt - 02-24-2014, 10:19 PM
RE: Tutorials Format - by Arakash - 02-24-2014, 10:40 PM
RE: Tutorials Format - by Frankschtaldt - 02-24-2014, 11:23 PM
RE: Tutorials Format - by Arakash - 02-25-2014, 02:49 AM
RE: Tutorials Format - by Eric.B - 02-24-2014, 11:46 PM